Saturday, August 21, 2010

taxes, high heels, and summer.

Okay, so I have three very different things to write about right now so just bear with me. =)

Taxes: Today I finally got this check that I've been waiting for...a check I really, really need!  It was money taken out of my check for a retirement plan when I worked for the school system in Florida but when I stopped working there I had the option to just withdraw the money.  Of course, I didn't know any of this until I got home this summer but I immediately filled out the paper work and I have been waiting for my check ever since!  Anyways, so I finally got it today and do you want to know something?  I. Am. TICKED.  Our "lovely" federal government took 1/5 of my hard earned money!  I have never really been too interested in politics or government issues or anything of the sort.  I try to be the best person I can be and help others by doing so.  But let me tell you something, now I'm interested!  I work long and hard for my money and it's MY money!!  When I was in Georgia last month, Ally, Kryslin and I went to Atlanta and while we were walking around, this supposedly homeless guy stopped us and asked for money.  When we said we didn't have any on us, he said, and I quote, "Well, can't you go to an ATM or something and get some?"  Okay, usually I feel really bad for those people and want to help...and I really do want to help!  But how can you have the nerve to ask someone to go out of their way to give you some of their hard earned money while you bum around all day begging when you could be out looking for a job?!?!  Honestly, it makes me so frustrated, I don't even think you understand!!  And that's how I feel again....1/5 of MY MONEY is going to the government to be used for who knows what.  I want to help, I really do.  And that is precisely why I pay tithing -- to help those in need and thank my Heavenly Father for all the blessings in my life.  But you know what?  If you're struggling financially and are capable, go out and find a job!!  You may not get your dream job right away but try to find a job instead of just whipping out some sob story and begging people for their hard earned money!  Ughhhhh.  Anyways, I'm glad I got that out there because now that I see how limited money is for me and my family, every penny counts.  And at school, when I'm super busy working and studying, every hour, every minute of work matters.  And it frustrates me to think that I work several hours pretty much for free or just for the benefit of someone or something else that I may never even reap the benefits of.

High Heels: Oh my lanta, I may actually be growing up.  It's kind of a scary feeling.  After 18 years of my mother's constant reminders of how I must "act like a lady" by using a fork and knife instead of my fingers and not burping, her wishes may actually be coming true.  Kind of, at least.  I've decided that I'm tired of people thinking I'm twelve years old, so I'm going to try to look and act a little more my age.  Really, being a girl can be so difficult.  I mean, no one pressures boys to wear makeup, dresses, and high heels.  Their jeans are made with pockets big enough to hold a wallet, cell phone, and keys while girls have to resort to carrying purses.  But it's time for me to stop complaining and man up (I mean, woman up)!  So tonight, I went to a quinceanera at the church and I got to wear a cute dress and for the first time in my life, I drove with my high heels on and I actually kept them on for most of the night!  I was so proud of myself; I'm not really good with heels (even though I own like ten pairs....still working on my collection).  And I decided that when I dress nice, I feel so much better!  You know how on bummer days you just want to throw your hair up and put on sweats?  Well, I think that if on days like that I make an effort to just look a little nicer, my day will go a little better!  So that's my goal for this new school year...I'm going to actually try to look decent and alive.  And shower every day. =)

Summer: Okay last segment of this post....summer is pretty much officially over.  I think I've already talked about my summer enough in previous posts so I'll just give a few closing thoughts. =)  All in all, it's been a pretty great summer.  I've had a lot of fun.  I've caught up with old friends and made new friends.  I've had adventures.  I've spent more time with my family (almost too much).  I've realized how much I miss my ex-roommates/wonderful friends.  I appreciate Provo much more than I did when I left.  And I've learned so much more about how to be frugal (you know, because the government takes all my money!).  I can't believe it's over, but I'm so excited to head to Provo on Tuesday!  Just two and a half days and I'll be back.  And I am determined to make this year even better than freshman year!  So brace yourself, Provo, here I come =)

Playlist Update: (just some songs/excerpts of songs that made me smile today):
Check Up On It - Beyonce
Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
"Walking gets boring when you learn how to fly" and "I won't cry, I'm too young to die" - Shakira
Kiss Me Thru the Phone - Soulja Boy
Be OK - Ingrid Michaelson (I already listed this one, but it's one of my new favorites!)

Peace out, homeskillet <3

No comments:

Post a Comment