Saturday, October 8, 2011

my first encounter with the cops.

Picture this: it's raining outside, I'm walking up from the parking garage with my roommate (Michael-Ann, of course...see previous post) with a huge pile of clothes in my arms.  I walk up to my door to see a policewoman standing there.

Policewoman: Is this your apartment?
Me: Yes..
Her: I'm looking for a Luisa Chil.
Me: (heart drops to stomach) That would be me.
Her: The laptop you are currently in possession of is stolen property.
Me: (about to vomit) Um...what?

She went on to explain (quite menacingly) that my laptop had been stolen in 2008 and, because I took it to the bookstore to get fixed, Apple contacted the owner who then called the police who traced it back to me.

I explained to her that my mom had bought the computer for me from my sister before I left for Spain.  She kept asking me how my sister got the computer but I didn't know so finally I just asked if I could call her.  I've never dealt with a police officer before so I had no idea what was okay and what was going to get me in trouble.  I called my sister and got my brother-in-law.  He answered the phone and all I said was, "Sonny, there's a police officer at my apartment saying my computer was stolen..." and that's about when the tears came and I ended with, "I don't know what to do, please help me!"  I explained the situation to him and then just relinquished the phone so that he could explain to the officer that he bought the computer from Craigslist three years ago.

Anyway, I guess the officer finally came to the conclusion that we were both innocent, (as I am sitting in the zebra chair, crying) so she called the "victim" (personally, I think I am more the victim than this lady was), and told me I have until Wednesday to clear the computer and take it to the police station.  Oh, and might I add, I need a laptop for all of my classes (except this one...thanks Shayne!) so my dearest mother has just shipped her laptop to me express to get it by Wednesday.

I don't think I have ever experienced anything so scary as having a police officer at my door looking for me.  Needless to say, it's been a rough day.  But hey, at least I have something good to blog about this week.

1 comment:

  1. that is slightly hilarious. and of course that would happen to you haha im so sorry. that totally stinks! im glad it all worked out though.

    ReplyDelete